TSP 2013 Observing Program Lists

Home Forums TSP General Discussion TSP 2013 Observing Program Lists

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Hi Folks, I just downloaded the TSP 2013 Observing Program list ZIP file and it seems the TXT file and the SkyTools and Sky Safar files are missing over half the objects on the PDF lists. I email John Wagoner several days ago, but haven’t heard back. Has anyone else noticed these lists are missing data? Andy Cheng

ALVIN HUEY
    Participant

I’ve just uploaded a quick observing guide for the TSP 2013 Advanced Observing List on my website. http://www.faintfuzzies.com/DownloadableObservingGuides2.html Scroll to the bottom, and hit the link to download the PDF. Clear skies,Alvin 

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

HI Alvin,Thanks for the lists, but the PDF versions are fine. The versions that integrate into various observing software are what my problem is.  Andy Cheng

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

Hi Andy,I just tried the Skysafari versions of both and they came out just fine for me. Is there a pattern to the ones you are missing? ie is it the bottom of the list, or the ones below the horizon, etc? Keith

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Hi Keith,Hard to tell what is missing since most seem to be NGC objects. Did you open the TXT file? That had the same number of entries as my SkySafari for IPad. The IPad version just grays out objects not up, but still shows all objects in list.  Andy Cheng

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

Hmmm. My downloads of the SkySafari, pdf & text versions of “I have no idea” all have the same number of objects, in the same order. I’m not seeing anything wrong.

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

I tried this twice and same number of items (27). I know there are more than that. Maybe it is just my imagination. Andy

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Okay, I just downloaded Zip file again onto a completely different PC and reset SkySafari with same results. SkySafari still show 27 objects and TXT file from text folder has 30 objects in it.  I can’t be dreaming this. Andy

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

You’re right! Its the two asterisms that are missing from SkySafari! I make it 29 in the TXT file (beware the Tough?). Keith 

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Thanks Keith for verifying my sanity!  Andy

ALVIN HUEY
    Participant

Yeah Andrew, the PDF is for those who are old school and use paper to find the stuff…or just focus on that list on a tablet or small laptop.

GARY CARTER
    Participant

Hi Andy,

The problem is with SkySafari…it does not have a very useful list of well known asterisms. In fact it is quite weak in this respect.

The two objects you should add to the list you now have downloaded in SkySafari are as follows:

For Stargate, search instead for the double star Struve 1659 (STF 1659, a.k.a. SAO 157383). This will place you dead center of the unmistakable triangular Stargate asterism in a low power FOV. Add this double star to your list in place of Stargate.

For Kemble 2, better known as little Cassiopeia or Little Queen, is an asterism in Draco. You will see the striking resemblance to the constellation Cassiopeia. To find it search for the star HD 172922 and you will have this astrism well centered in a low power FOV. Add this star to your observing list in place of Kemble 2.

For a little added asterism fun have a look at Kemble’s Cascade (Kemble 1). This is another beautiful asterism located in the constellation Camelopardalis. This pattern of unrealted stars makes up an apparent straight line of more than 20 colourful 5th to 10th magnitude stars over a distance of approximately five moon diameters, and the open cluster NGC 1502 can be found at one end.

Kanpai!
    -Gary

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.