Run on 2014 t-shirts

Home Forums TSP General Discussion Run on 2014 t-shirts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rene Gedaly
    Participant

Is there a way to order t-shirts while at TSP like we can do with TSP group photos? I never know I want one (photo and t-shirt) until I get here and now I find I’d like two t-shirts but they’re all sold out. Good problem to have, I guess 😉 Seriously though, what do you think about being able to place orders at TSP? Too much work? Is there a way to deal directly online with the supplier perhaps?

Jason Adamik
    Participant

I have had this problem many years – if you don’t arrive on the first day or don’t register asap even if you arrive on the first day of registration, you may well miss out on getting a T-shirt. I would like one for each year I attend but many years simply couldn’t get one.

DAVID CLARK
    Keymaster

The 2014 TSP t-shirt can be ordered during TSP registration 4:30-5:30 PM in the meeting hall. There is a $5 handling fee (for up to 2 shirts) to cover the extra costs to get them to you.

We will reorder these at our vendor in Austin, ship them to a (newly found) volunteer who will then package and mail them to you!

There may also be an opportunity to order them before our evening speaker, just go to the back of the room and ask for Matt.

Rene Gedaly
    Participant

I just ordered my two t-shirts at registration. THANKS for doing this. And thank you to the mailing volunteers! Come to think of it, thank you to ALL the volunteers!!

Jason Adamik
    Participant

Dave, I didn’t see this opportunity to get a 2014 shirt after they sold out until just now (I had been in contact with you and the Goldbergs last year but got the impression that the shirts were impossible to get after they sold out).

I think this is a continuing problem that would be easy to remedy – just take orders from people who want shirts after they sell out and as long as the number of people requesting them by a certain date is enough to satisfy the supplier (say, 25 or whatever number they demand) then the problem just remains to find a person willing to address bubble mailers or other envelopes, stuff them with shirts, and take them to a post office.

DAVID CLARK
    Keymaster

Jason,

We have tried various ways to handle getting the t-shirts to our attendees,
    including advance orders. It turns out that despite having the ability for
    you to buy your shirt in advance, we still ended up with lots of folks who
    decided to buy their shirt at TSP who weren’t able to get their size.

Advance ordering capability doesn’t really solve the problem. Our queries
    indicate that folks often don’t want to buy advance for these (valid) reasons:
    – want to wait to actually see the tshirt physically (despite seeing an online graphic)
    – only want to buy a shirt that they are certain properly fits
    – not willing to spend until they are actually at TSP (may not go at last minute)
    – not interested initially, but once they saw it they wanted it
    – some who purchased in advance did not really like the shirt once they saw it, but has already purchased in advance

The process of taking advance orders, then kitting-up each order individually at TSP (100-200 orders!), and other nuances for advance orders is very labor intensive. It now costs about $7+ to ship shirts that aren’t picked-up, and we had this obligation imposed on us (both to locate a volunteer to do this work, as well as absorbing the cost).

Despite forecasting of how many shirts to order in advance, we sometimes fall short and other times we overbuy and carry an inventory of that shirt for as long as 3-4 years.

Our forecast uses (1) last year’s t-shirt mix on sizes, (2) last year’s total
    shirts sold and how many attended, and (3) this year’s expected attendance (based on actual registrations and estimate of at-the-door registrations).

It turns out that tshirt demand is highly variable and is heavily-influenced by t-shirt color, design, and how much money folks have available to spend.

If we run short, we will take orders for shirts during the rest of TSP week,
    ONLY if we have someone who has volunteered to handle the packaging and shipping of the shirts a month or so after TSP. No volunteer, no last-minute orders!

In 2014 no one signed up to do this, but at the last minute (on Tuesday) I managed to recruit a volunteer… and we put up a sign in the meeting hall.

If you know someone who wants to volunteer to do this (tshirt-delivery) , send them here.

Now you know more about selling tshirts at TSP than you care to know, but these are the realities.

Jason Adamik
    Participant

Thanks, Dave. I knew that the biggest problem might be getting a volunteer to do the thankless and not at all fun job to package each order and address envelopes and take to PO or other shipper and pay for the shipping. That would be a big enough reason not to bother with advance orders.

I didn’t know all the other problems. I think if you posted a graphic in advance it should be sufficient and people would be satisfied with the shirt they received. In any case, it’s a shame it’s hard for people to get shirts who really want them since they are one of the only ‘memorabilia’ items from TSP. I have all my old ones and bought more back to the early 80’s as mentioned above.

I think more ‘L’ and ‘XL’ sizes ordered might solve those being sold out so quickly. I am an L most years and always have a hard time finding a shirt. I think most men attendees tend to be an L or XL. The women may tend to be M or L but there are fewer of them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.