Reminiscing from TSP 1987

Home Forums TSP General Discussion Reminiscing from TSP 1987

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Beets
    Participant

Please be aware that I was just a dumb 22 year old at the time… This happened at the staffed cafeteria on the ranch that everyone eats at… I did’nt know anyone and I was looking for a place to sit down and eat before the lectures started. There were two older gentlemen who had just finished their meals and were talking so I asked if I could sit with them and they said sure…
    They were talking about Ronald Reagan and his firing of the air traffic controllers and how they believed it was wrong. Anybody who knows me knows that I cannot keep my mouth shut in any conversation that interests me… So for the next 20 minutes we were discussing the different aspects of our world and US politcal system and I was disagreeing with most of what they said.

It was then time to go in for the lectures and after they left I realized I never asked their names. They were both very interesting to talk to and I thought it would be nice to sit with them during the lectures. However I couldn’t find them in the crowd anywhere so I sat alone and disappointed… When the lecture started I realized why I didn’t see them… They were the lecturers. They were Clyde Tombaugh and David Levy…. All I could think of at the time was FACEPALM!!!!!!!!

DEREK NEWTON
    Participant

I was also their that year on the lower field. Binocular telescopes were somewhat of a buzz back then and there was a gentleman from New Mexico that was setup next to me with a 12.5″ bino-scope that pencil drew some to the best work I’ve ever seen. Anyway, Clyde had found out about his scope and wanted to observe through it.

Of course the guy from New Mexico was more than gracious in allowing Clyde to observe. I don’t recall the object that was being observed, but I do remember the words that came out of Clydes mouth… “Throw me a rope… I feel like I’m about to fall in!”.

Clyde also observed through my scope as well. I’ll alway hold that memory of my early days attending TSP.

DEREK NEWTON
    Participant

Disregard my bad spelling. I already posted prior to seeing it. No way to edit it seems. 🙂

ROCKETT CRAWFORD
    Participant

This will be the 20th anniversary for me. I’ve been coming since 1992.

This’ll be the 20th anniversay for me. I started coming in 1992.

In 1994 there was the annular eclipse during TSP. My wife and I went to a little ranch a ways away from Prude to see that so we’d be in the path that year.

1998-2000 were wonderful years. Skies were clear almost every night. I invited a friend in 2001 bragging about this and it rained almost all week that year.

I do love the storms there though. Almost surreal sometimes. Sometimes it’ll rain and the rain will evaporate as it’s hitting the ground (virga). There there’s the mountain generated day thunderstorms that seem to come out of nowhere and have lightning hitting trees on the hills.

Then there’s all those years where we saw thunderstorms in the distance at night waiting for them to come over and they would go around the moutains all night long putting on a light show while the skies above were gorgeous.

Love to make a pilgrimage up to McDonald Observatory every year. Anyway, lots of memories.

DEREK NEWTON
    Participant

94 was a huge year… I believe that is the most people that ever attended. There were so many scopes on the fields, you couldn’t hardly walk between them. We really taxed the ranch facilities that year for sure!

ROCKETT CRAWFORD
    Participant

Yea 1994 was really crowded. Most I’ve seen since I’ve been going. What a coincidense, an eclipse of the sun happening near Ft. Davis and on a month TSP could be scheduled. Bet we won’t see that happen again in our lifetimes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.