Bluetooth Usage?

Home Forums TSP General Discussion Bluetooth Usage?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Howdy, coming to my 5th TSP with a new Hubble Optics – 18-inch Utra-Light dob. It will have a new SkyHub DSC system, but only uses Bluetooth to talk to an Android tablet. 

Are the restrictions regarding Bluetooth usage still in effect?  I wasn’t sure if the Wi-Fi has been changed or modified to allow us to use Bluetooth devices. Thanks, Andy Cheng

SONYA WARD
    Participant

Did I read you correctly a New 18″   dang I am setting up close to you. :)sonya 

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Hi Sonya,I hope to have my new Hubble Optics scope ready. Still waiting for rest of parts to be delivered. Andy

DAVID CLARK
    Keymaster

Andy,  Bluetooth… sorry but operating a Bluetooth device on the observing fields is still a problem…. not so much for TSP but for your neighbors who use any type of wireless (regular internet or bluetooth) as these share the same frequencies). 

The problem is best described on the  Internet Wireless Controllers at TSP  page.

Of course there is no problem if you connect by wire such as USB, etc.

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Thanks for your response Dave.  

Except in this day and age there are so many Bluetooth devices that we use on a daily basis.  You really need to get your network guys to figure this out. Between Bluetooth keyboards, mice, headphones, etc., I really think this is just going to get worse and worse. 

TSP is the only place where this seems to be a problem. This almost sounds like the FAA requiring folks to turn off all electronics device during takeoff and landing. 

Andy Cheng

DAVID CLARK
    Keymaster

Hi Andy!  Our internet team has worked hard to provide the very best possible internet possible for our attendees.  TSP has spent over $30,000 in equipment and such over the years, and many volunteer hours by our team nursing and fine-tuning our system to what you see today….  THE LARGEST INTERNET CAFE in West Texas!

TSP doesn’t have much control over the devices that our attendees bring and use, and we certainly have no control over the electrical design of that gear.  Most of this equipment is intended to be used in a home, car or other “non-dense” wi-fi- environment.

This is simply not a case of upgrading TSP equipment.  This is the real-life physics of a narrow radio spectrum and what happens when multiple transceivers operate in that congested space.  Adding more TSP equipment merely aggravates the problem  (no different than adding more Bluetooth devices!!!)

When bringing together 500+ people in one area, this electronic congestion can make things not work for some people.   We are advised by the “industry” on what TSP can do to help make things work better… which includes discouraging the use of Bluetooth devices which are the primary contender in that frequency spectrum.

This is similar to our other rules… “slow-driving” (low dust) policy, power use limits, light-controls, etc….  we put these here so that your neighbors can enjoy TSP as well.  Think about it… driving on dirt roads, using lots of power or light when you need it… are normally not a problem when you are by yourself.  Now add 500 people?

Incidentally, the use of Bluetooth devices is not an issue during the day or in your room (if that helps you).

ANDREW CHENG
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your detailed response. Your staff and crew have done a tremendous job with the current Wi-Fi. I will definitely abide by the rules and I know it will be a great event

Regards,
    Andy Cheng

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.