ATM entries at 2013 TSP

Home Forums TSP Amateur Telescope Making (ATM) ATM entries at 2013 TSP

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DOUG & CHRISTINA LEGRAND 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

It’s not long to TSP, and I’m hoping for plenty of entries to the TSP ATM Recognition Programme.  We’re happy to see just about anything astronomy related that you have made recently – telescopes, mounts, servos, software, accessories, gadgets, etc.

It’s all quite informal and your entries will be reviewed by some experienced (aka “Old”!) ATMers and an overview presented on the Saturday afternoon.  It’s a great way of sharing ideas, skills and experiences. There are even some awards to be made!

To find out more, check out the TSP ATM page.

TED SAKER
    Participant

Hoping to have my 6″ f/4.7 astrograph done. It depends on acquiring the right sized tube, constructing it, mounting the uncoated mirror, passing the test, getting the mirror coated, and final assembly. A tall order to be sure.

CRAIG COLBERT
    Participant

I may have 2 entries ready…1…a motor focuser is all ready complete. It is controlled via a Mac pro pc. The 2nd is a full on goto system for a Losmandy G8. I found that the gemini was out of my price range and that with off the shelf controllers and 2 stepper motors and 2 encoders and again my Mac Pro I should be able to construct and program my own goto system for around $500 bucks. The programming is 90% complete but the mounting of the  steppers is going to be a challenge. I will be bringing it to TSP even if  not complete to get feedback from others on the computer interface. hopefully though I will complete it before then.Hey Ted….good luck with you astrograph. I know you can get it done. Then the contest is on like a @$#@$%^.

KEITH TAGGART
    Participant

It seems there hasn’t been a high level of enthusiasm in the ATM recognition program for the last several years, and the amount of entries appears to show that.  I know there are some really neato toys out there manufactured and produced by astronomy related companies, but as y’all know, ATM is at the heart of amateur astronomy.  So, new and clever ideas, fine workmanship, etc., are all welcomed and encouraged.   There’s still more time!!!

CRAIG COLBERT
    Participant

Hello fellow ATMers,My Losmandy GoTo project is in shake down mode. I have it tracking pretty good and have performed some fairly accurate gotos. The joystick is acting a little funky and will need some reprogramming. The next hurtle is auto guiding. The routines are written and bench tested so it should only need some minor tweaking of the guide values. Hopefully tomorrow night will be clear so I can test it.I’ve decided to incorporate the motor focus program into the GoTo program so as not to have board crossover problems. That should be easy…famous last words…lol

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

thanks Ted & Craig, looks like we have at least two entries for this year’s programme! Good luck with the work you have left to do! Even if its not finished, bring it along and tell us the story so far!Keith

I have a couple of things to enter this year – some modifications to a ladder and a method to make it possible for one average person to install a 120-pound mirror and cell into a Dob without assistance. I hope some people find them useful, or at least interesting. The ATM contest is a great thing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.