2015 ATM Informal Discussion Groups

Home Forums TSP Amateur Telescope Making (ATM) 2015 ATM Informal Discussion Groups

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BARBARA WILSON 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

I’d like to organise a few informal ATM discussion groups this year. The idea being that we meet on the field and swap ideas and experiences on a topic for an hour or so. We could move around the field a little allowing us to look at examples offered by discussion participants. I’ve so far thought of three topics;

Materials & Finishes
    Mirror mounts (primary & secondary)
    Motors, drives and controllers

Are there any other topics we might like to consider? Would anyone like to volunteer to join any of these topics, especially if they have examples at TSP this year!?

I can be reached at tsp_atm@texasstarparty.org

TIMOTHY COWDEN
    Participant

Keith,

I like the discussion group idea, it spreads the ATM activities out and adds focus to the discussions. I have some ideas on mirror mounting and adjustment
    that I’ve never seen referenced, so I would like to get some feedback on them.
    This includes using differential screws to support and adjust primary mirrors,
    and using RC servomotors to remotely drive adjusting screws.

Tim Cowden

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

Hi Tim,
    I love differential screws – much underused!
    Did you see we now have a program of discussions set up. Mirror mounts etc is on Wednesday at 10am. Do you have any hardware to look at?

Keith

TIMOTHY COWDEN
    Participant

I have a leveling platform for the Raleigh Water Flat Test that uses differential screws. That gave me the idea for using something like it as a mirror support and collimation platform. I may have a mirror support retrofit for one of my scopes done by the time TSP rolls around.

Tim

BARBARA WILSON
    Participant

Keith, do your earlier email addresses still work ok. For some reason my computer won’t send to the TSP address one. Thanks. *BW*

KEITH VENABLES
    Participant

Hi all,
    Just in case you haven’t followed the links, our ATM informal discussions will take place at 10am on each of: Tuesday (materials and finishes), Wednesday (mirrors and mounts) and Thursday (drives and controllers). We will start at the Lodge steps and move to discuss practical examples and issues around equipment on the observing fields. Don’t need to book or anything just turn up, but if you are intending to join in it would be nice to hear from you.

BARBARA WILSON
    Participant

I sure would. Thanks Keith. *BW*

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.